Wauwatosa Civic Celebration Committee
2013 Memorial Day Essay Contest ---Middle School Students
Essay Theme: What does Memorial Day mean to me?
Who is eligible? All students enrolled in Wauwatosa schools in grades 6-8 or Wauwatosa residents enrolled in grades 6-8, to include public, private and home schools. Students must submit original work.
Format: 1. The essay should be 200-600 words in English.
2. Entries must be typed and double-spaced.
3. Each essay should have a title. The title, name, school, and phone number of the student should appear on a title page.
4. The title should appear as a heading on each page; no name on any page except the title page.
5. Essays will not be returned.
1. Essays submissions are due on May 19th, 2013, 11:59 CST. 2. Essays may be e-mailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
6324 Upper Parkway North
Wauwatosa, WI 53213
Judging: 1. An essay must meet the assigned minimum length, must be submitted following the prescribed format, and must be submitted on or before the due date in order to be judged. 2. Judging will be completed by a panel of qualified judges.
3. Judges will not discuss or compare essays being judged until all essays have been judged. 4. Only judges can assign a penalty or award points.
Scoring 1. Material Organization (Logical interpretation of the subject, adherence to topic): 40 points 2. Vocabulary and Style (Phrasing and continuity): 30 points 3. Grammar, Punctuation, Spelling: 25 points 4. Adherence to contest rules (prepared in the proper format): 5 points
1. Awards will be awarded to the top three essays.
2. Winners will be contacted by phone and e-mail, and recognized at the Wauwatosa Memorial Day Ceremony, Monday May 27th, 2013.
3. If available and by choice, winners will be asked to read their essay at the Wauwatosa Memorial Day Ceremony,