School Board Brief: November 11, 2019
Highlights of the November 11, 2019 Wauwatosa School Board meeting:
*Please note, these are not official minutes. Minutes of each meeting are approved at the next regular Board meeting.
On November 11, 2019, the Board approved the following:
- Minutes from previous regular meeting
- Personnel Matters – Resignations, Hires.
- Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation Fabrication Laboratories Program grant application for a $25,000 grant requiring a $25,000 Match Commitment from Wauwatosa School District.
The board was provided updates on or discussed the following:
- Legislative Advocacy Committee Update – Mr. Rolland provided an update on the work of the LAC. Ms. Fraley, Ms. Muehlfeld, and Dr. Ertl met with State Representative Robyn Vining and Rep. LaKeshia Meyers, who represent Wauwatosa, on November 11 to understand what progress has been made on legislative resolutions sent to them regarding school safety. There has not been much progress yet, due to the legislative calendar, but Mr. Rolland reported there were commitments of the representatives to continue the conversations.
- LAC discussed mental health proposal during its last meeting. Three-page legislative resolution related to mental health they are working on that will eventually come to the board. Members asked if the district was doing anything related to vaping legislatively.
- District will be working with the City of Wauwatosa on a parking study around East High School. Will involve focus groups. Trying to find a resolution that doesn’t require students to leave school multiple times during the day to move their cars, while understanding needs and concerns of neighbors.
- Southeast Wisconsin School Alliances Report – Sharon Muehlfeld gave an update on SWSA. Much of the agenda for the next meeting is related to legislative measures and gathering info on what they want member school districts to put forward during the next legislative sessions. Provided information about upcoming speakers that the SWSA will be hosting related to education and advocacy. Mr. Rolland asked if the mental health work the LAC committee is working on could be brought to the SWSA and to gain an understanding of what other districts are doing related to this issue.
- School Board Election Information - Four at-large seats on the Wauwatosa School Board are up for election on April 7, 2020. The present incumbent board members are: Seat #4 Leigh Anne Fraley, Seat #5 Mike Phillips, Seat #6 Sharon Muehlfeld and Seat #7 Steve Doman.
- Any Wauwatosa resident interested in running for the school board must declare their candidacy no later than 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, January 7, 2020. The first day candidates may circulate nomination papers is December 1, 2019. Nomination papers must indicate the numbered seat that a candidate intends to run for. If more than two candidates for any numbered seat file nomination papers, a primary election will be held on February 18, 2020.
- School Board election forms may be downloaded from the Wisconsin Elections Commission website at http://elections.wi.gov. They can also be obtained from the Wauwatosa School District’s administrative office located at 12121 W. North Ave.
- Adjourn to Executive Closed Session: Following the regular meeting, the board adjourned into executive session to discuss and consider the performance of a teacher/employee and issues relating to the teacher’s contract and employment.