School Board Meeting Recap: AVID, Revised COVID-19 Mitigation + Level Changes
Last night, the Wauwatosa School Board made several decisions that will significantly impact our learning community. This message is intended to outline those decisions made by the Board of Education and explain how stakeholders will be affected.
Termination of AVID Elective Courses
The School Board voted to terminate the district’s relationship with AVID, effective at the conclusion of the 2021-22 school year. This means that starting in the 2022-23 school year, students will no longer have the opportunity to enroll in an AVID elective. However, the District will be developing its own college and career readiness program, which will be available beginning in the 2022-23 school year. Additional information regarding the transition process will be delivered in the coming days to students currently enrolled in an AVID elective and their families. The District will also provide high school students with information regarding the ways in which it will support students’ college and career readiness in the near term.
Revised Mitigation Strategies
The Board also voted to approve the District’s recommended modifications to the 2021-22 Re-Entry Plan. Changes include:
- After exhibiting illness symptoms, individuals may submit a letter of clearance from a medical provider in lieu of conducting a ten (10) day quarantine or submitting a negative COVID-19 test. The letter must be dated after illness symptoms began and may only be used for the duration of the illness, not to exceed 30 days. Medical provider is defined as a board certified MD or DO, licensed nurse practitioner, or licensed physician assistant.
- All unvaccinated individuals in a classroom will be quarantined when there is one positive case of COVID-19 reported in that classroom.
- The requirement for social distancing for large gatherings in level 2 has been removed and replaced with a recommendation of 3’ of physical distance.
- All physical distancing requirements in level 1 have been removed. This includes day-to-day activities and large events.
Change in Mitigation Levels
Finally, the School Board voted to change mitigation levels in accordance with the following timeline:
- January 3, 2022: Wauwatosa East and West high schools will move to mitigation level 2. The most significant change is that masks are optional for vaccinated individuals and strongly encouraged for unvaccinated individuals in level 2. The Wauwatosa School District will not be using vaccination status to monitor and/or enforce mask-wearing, and all individuals are expected to display integrity and honesty in their decisions.
- January 18, 2022: The Superintendent, building principal and Nursing Department will determine each school’s appropriate mitigation level based on the school’s internal metrics during the week of January 18. The intended level for each building will be communicated to staff, families and students during this week. The change in mitigation level will go into effect starting on Monday, January 31, 2022.
A full recording of the meeting will be published on the Wauwatosa School District YouTube channel today.
Again, additional information will be shared in the coming days and weeks regarding our transition away from AVID and the mitigation levels that will be implemented in our middle schools and elementary schools beginning on January 31, 2022.