COMING & GOING
ARRIVAL & SCHOOL HOURS
The playground is supervised between 8:00-8:15 a.m. daily and during recesses. After school supervision is not available. All students are expected to go directly home at the end of the day and work out any play dates or rides home prior to coming to school. Children should not arrive before 8:00 a.m.
Parking and Pick Up Policies
· Best Place to Drop Off: North side of Potter Road, East of the crossing guard.
· Second Best Place to Drop Off: South side of Potter Road. A crossing guard will cross students.
· Worst Place to Park: East side of 112th Street. This forces students into the street and neighbors’ lawns.
If you opt to use the West parking lot in the morning, please pull up well forward so that other cars can pull in behind you, and thereby preventing a bottleneck spilling out onto Potter Road. After school, the West parking lot will be unavailable for pickup to ensure student safety.
We realize that parking at Underwood can pose problems, but we ask that you please follow these simple rules:
· Parents should not double-park in the parking lot when dropping off their children. Smaller children have a tendency to run out in front of cars.
· When you use the parking lot, please observe handicap parking restrictions. We have children and parents at Underwood school who have special needs.
· We prefer that students be dropped off along Potter Road to prevent parking lot congestion.
Junior Kindergarten (JK) waits for teacher at Main Entrance. Senior Kindergarten (SK) enters at West doors (labeled W10). First Grade and Second Grade students enter at the NE entrance (labeled N5) in the courtyard area on the playground lower level. Third Grade enters in the Daycare entrance on the lower level, same side as the 1st, and 2nd graders. Fourth and Fifth Grade enter through the West main playground doors on the ramp under the overhang. Students should not enter the building before the bells unless they have a special pass from their teachers or have practice/meetings or having breakfast.
- Rooms 133 and 137: Bottom of steps on West playground
- Rooms 102, 103, 104, 105: East playground door at the stairway
- Rooms 122 and 119: East playground at door number five entrances
- Rooms 201, 202, 203, 206: West playground door at the ramp
- Rooms 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 West courtyard door
On inclement weather mornings we will let students into the front lobby until 8:00 a.m. Then, JK-2nd graders will wait in the lobby and 3rd-5th graders will go down to the cafeteria under supervision. There, they will wait quietly for the 8:15 bell and the supervising teacher to dismiss them out to their classrooms.
Staff Report 7:55 a.m.
Morning Bell 8:15 a.m.
Morning Tardy Bell 8:25 a.m.
Lunch 11:10 a.m.
First Lunch SK & 1st 11:10 - 11:30
Second Lunch 2nd & 3rd 11:40 - 12:00
Third Lunch 4th & 5th 12:10 - 12:30
End of Lunch Bell 12:20 p.m.
Dismissal 3:20 p.m.
Classrooms Close/Teachers Leave 3:45 p.m.
JK (morning class): 8:20-10:55 a.m.
JK (afternoon class): 12:30-3:20 p.m. (2:20 pm on Wednesdays)
SK-5th grades: 8:20 a.m.-3:20 p.m. (2:20 pm on Wednesdays)
Children should meet parents in front of the building or at cars.
Children needing to meet siblings or friends should meet them at a planned place in front of school at dismissal.
If you pick up your child at dismissal and you need to change that time, please plan ahead and tell your child before they leave for school in the morning. We try to keep classroom interruptions to a minimum. On the rare occasion you need to phone us, please call early in the day to insure the message gets to your child in a timely manner. The end of the school day is a hectic time.
ACCESS TO BUILDING
All visitors must use the security buzzer located on the right-hand side of the front door to enter the building.
Please stop in the office to obtain a badge.
After the start of the school day, all doors are locked after 8:40 A.M. Only use the main doors to enter the building and stop at the school office to obtain a badge. For security reasons, please do not coax students or staff to let you in other doors. They are instructed not to open doors for strangers.
All entrances are not handicapped accessible. The main entrance, west door by SK rooms and east door facing Potter Road are accessible. There is a wheelchair accessible bathroom located on the first floor.
The health of each child is primarily the responsibility of the parent. The district, with the cooperation of the city health department, will contribute in every way possible to the promotion, protection and maintenance of the student’s health.
- Call the attendance office, 414.773.1702 to report your child’s absence before 8:00 AM. Please state child’s name, length of absence, grade level and teacher’s name.
- Absences are reported to your child's teacher.
- Students must be symptom-free for 24 hrs. without the help of ibuprofen before returning.
- If a child returns to school with any of the symptoms of illness such as fever (over 100), vomiting, or intestinal issues, he/she will be sent to the office and parents/guardians will be called at home or work to pick up their child as soon as possible.
- After ten absences and/or tardies, all families will receive a letter stating, "if there are any further absences, a conference with the principal or school team will be required." This letter is placed in the cumulative folder.
- If absences continue, we may request that any additional absences be accompanied by a medical excuse to be considered excused.
- If a child becomes ill or there is an accident at school, parents/guardians are contacted at home or work so arrangements can be made. It is important to supply the school with emergency information and keep it updated.
Cold or Rainy Arrivals
A bright orange flag on the flagpole by the main entrance will indicate "INDOOR" recess. During especially cold or rainy weather, students will come inside to the hallway where there is supervision. When the temperature or combination of temperature and wind chill reach a concerning level (-5 degrees), students will remain indoors. Otherwise, it is expected that children spend a part of their school day on the playground at noontime and/or recess.