When a student is to be absent from school, the parent or guardian must CALL the Attendance Line (414-773-2002) on the day of, or prior to, the absence.
If there is a need to speak to someone directly, please call between 7:15am and 3:30pm. Written notes are not accepted.
1. Leaving Early or Arriving Late During the School Day
A student who needs to leave the school building for any reason during the school day or arrive late must check in and obtain a pass from the Attendance Window at the main office. This includes during passing time, lunch periods, and study halls. Guardians who wish for a student to be excused during the school day must call the school prior to the time the student is to be excused. Any student who leaves the building or arrives late without prior permission will be considered unexcused.
2. Planned Absences
When a student is to be absent from Wauwatosa East High School, the parent or guardian MUST CALL the Attendance Line (414-773-2002) on the day of, or prior to, the absence. Voicemail is available 24/7. If there is a need to speak to someone directly, please call between 7:15am and 3:30pm. Written notes are not accepted.
Excused and Unexcused Absences
Student absences are either considered excused or unexcused/truant. The following are considered to be excused or legal absences as determined by State law and Board policies:
- Personal illness, whether mental or physical. Medical verification will be required when a chronic pattern of absence becomes evident.
- Permission of parent or guardian.
- **A student may not be excused for more than ten (10) days per school year under this paragraph and must complete any course work missed during the absence.**
- Sudden family emergencies, crises, or trauma
- Religious observances
- Suspension or Expulsion
- Program or Curriculum Modification
- Required legal appearances
- Authorized enrollment in an alternative school
JUNIOR AND SENIOR PRIVILEGES
Criteria to Obtain Privileges
Terms of Privileges
Grounds for Revocation of Privilege
How to Check Out For Privileges
AGE OF MAJORITY
Students who have reached 18 years of age may be granted permission by their guardians to originate their own excused absences. Paperwork must be on file with the office for students to have this privilege.
The paperwork is a Google Form and can be sent via email upon request from the main office. The parent/guardian and student will be notified via email if approved.
Report an Absence
Attendance Line: 414-773-2002
Voicemail is available 24 hours a day.