Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) Funding
The Wauwatosa School District has received two rounds of ESSER funding to support COVID-19 pandemic response. A third round (American Rescue Plan ESSER III) of funding in the amount of $3,027,252 will be distributed in 2021-22 and must be fully allocated by September 30, 2024.
Allowable uses include:
- Preventing, preparing for, and responding to COVID-19.
- Training and professional development on sanitizing and minimizing the spread of infectious diseases.
- Purchasing supplies to sanitize and clean district facilities.
- Repairing and improving school facilities to reduce risk of virus transmission and exposure to environmental health hazards.
- Improving indoor air quality.
- Addressing the needs of children from low-income families, children with disabilities, English learners, racial and ethnic minorities, students experiencing homelessness, and foster care youth.
- Developing and implementing procedures and systems to improve the preparedness and response efforts of the district.
- Planning for or implementing activities during long-term closures.
- Purchasing educational technology.
- Providing mental health services and supports.
- Planning and implementing activities related to summer learning and supplemental after-school programs.
- Addressing learning loss.
- Hiring new staff and avoiding layoffs.
NOTE: No less than 20% of the ARP ESSER allocation must be used to address learning loss through the implementation of evidence-based interventions.
The Wauwatosa School District partnered with the City of Wauwatosa to collect input regarding the allocation of American Rescue Act funds. The District also held community sessions in February 2022 to gain feedback from stakeholders. The Board of Education will vote on the proposed plan on Monday, March 14, 2022.