WSD COVID-19 (CORONAVIRUS) UPDATES
The health, safety, and well-being of our students, staff, and families are our top priorities in the Wauwatosa School District. With the recently elevated discussion regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19) in the news, we want to take a moment to reinforce preventive safety measures and reference our process and communications.
At this time (3/12/20) there have been 8 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the state of Wisconsin - in Dane, Pierce, and Waukesha Counties. There are currently no confirmed cases in Milwaukee.
As of March 12, Governor Evers says the overall risk to Wisconsinites remains low. However, Governor Evers has issued a Public Health Emergency in Wisconsin, in order to secure funding for necessary supplies and support if needed.
The safety of our students, staff, and families is our top priority. As a school district, we are closely monitoring the situation and taking guidance from the Wisconsin Department of Health Services and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). There is currently no recommendation to close schools in Wisconsin.
As of March 12, the Wisconsin Department of Health Services is advising:
- Canceling events with over 250 people
- Recommendation against non-essential domestic travel
- Recommendation against traveling to areas in the US with sustained community transmission of COVID-19. As of today, that includes Washington, New York, and California. A map of the states with the highest number of confirmed COVID-19 cases can be found here. You must hover over the state to see if there is community spread (works best on a computer, not a phone).
- A 14-day self-quarantine upon return for anyone who travels to any U.S. states with confirmed community spread of COVID-19.
Our District team met again this afternoon to discuss the guidelines from the Wisconsin Department of Health Services issued today and how we will implement this with regard to District events. We are working on those details and will have more information to share on Friday, 3/13/20.
We all play a role in reducing the likelihood of a coronavirus outbreak in our school district community. We encourage everyone to practice every day preventative measures including:
- Wash your hands regularly, especially after using the restroom and before preparing or consuming food. Using soap and hot water, wash for about 20 seconds. Be sure to also wash your fingertips.
- Avoid coughing or sneezing into your hands or in the air. Always try to cough or sneeze into a tissue, and then throw the tissue away. If you don’t have a tissue, cough/sneeze into your arm.
- As much as you can, avoid touching your eyes, mouth, and nose.
- If children are feeling sick, please keep them home from school. Allow them some time to feel better so that they do not risk infecting others.