The Substitute Hiring & Onboarding Process
Thank you for considering a substitute teacher position in Wauwatosa. If you have any questions about this document please contact Human Resources Specialist Nathan Marinan in the Department of Human Resources and Communications at (414) 773-1045 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested candidates apply via WECAN (Wisconsin Education Career Access Network) after creating an account. https://wecan.education.wisc.edu/#/
- Search under the Wauwatosa School District
- Teacher Substitutes - see Certified Staff #39698
- Special Education Assistant Substitutes – see Support Staff #39718
Those who are selected to move forward in the process will receive the following paperwork, which should be completed and returned to Mr. Marinan in the Department of Human Resources and Communications.
- Data Sheet
- ACH - Direct Deposit for payroll purposes
- Confidentiality Commitment
- EEO Letter - This form is voluntary
- 3121 Premier Plan - Substitutes are part of this deferred compensation plan unless they collect WRS.
- Completion of state and national background check process
- I-9 Documentation: Please fill out the I-9 form and visit the Human Resources and Communications Office in person with proper identification. (See the documents list for acceptable identification.)
- Mandatory Reporter Training (Child Abuse/Neglect Prevention)
- Bloodborne Pathogen Training – DPI scores will need to be sent to Wauwatosa School District.
- Pre-Placement Examination – The district covers the cost of this test if applicant goes to one of the district-specified clinics.
- Hepatitis B Election form
- Teachers with an active/current Department of Public Instruction (DPI) license may be integrated into the sub pool as soon as all the requirements are complete
- Non-licensed teacher substitutes and substitute education assistants will need to complete the DPI requirements for a substitute permit/license, including the following
- Request a WAMS ID
- Possible Fingerprinting. If needed, the applicant pays the fingerprinting fee.
- DPI application and payment. The applicant pays the application fee. Please note that it can take one month of more for the DPI it issue a permit.
- Uploading of Bachelor degree transcripts (for teacher substitutes only)
- Uploading of appropriate DPI District request form (for both non-licensed teacher substitutes and substitute educational assistants)
- After receiving the relevant permit/license from DPI, shadowing of teacher or assistant for one day
- Upon completion of the shadowing experience, integration of employee into the sub pool as active
- Absence Management (AESOP) substitute profile is created, and login information is sent to applicant’s personal email with instrucions