Community Resources for Families
· Many counties and communities have programs for families that are supported by United Way. To find one serving your local community, go to http://www.unitedwaywi.org.
· Information about how to become part of an effort to address poverty in your community is available through the Vision 2020 Campaign at www.2020wi.org.
· Local libraries may list local resources to help families meet basic needs.
· Telephone books often have separate sections listing services and organizations that serve families.
Health Care Resources
· Many families may qualify for BadgerCare Plus and the Family Planning Waiver Program. School professionals can help families and unaccompanied youth explore eligibility at http://access.wi.gov.
· Advocacy and Benefits Counseling for Health is a Wisconsin-based nonprofit public interest law firm at http://www.safetyweb.org/ and is dedicated to ensuring health care access for children and families, particularly those with special needs or whose health is at risk.
Homelessness and Housing
· To reach the Homeless Liaison for the Wauwatosa School District , call 414-773-1080 for more information.
· Help with housing and other assistance for unaccompanied youth is available through the Wisconsin Association for Homeless and Runaway Services. Information is available at http://wahrs.org.
Future Educational Plans
Resources and Strategies to Help Schools Assist Families Experiencing Challenges
Related to the Economic Recession
(Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, February 2009)
Student Services, October 2013 ljw
For further assistance, please contact the school social worker or school counselor assigned to your building.